March 23, 2017 / 15:13
Dr. Güzin Kösedağ Kırsaçlıoğlu (DENTAL CARE)
29 April 2011 Friday 09:32
Currently, the slogan for the individual has become “a better outlook.” By a better outlook, we refer to the physical outlook. Well-groomed hair, well-cared for skin, well-kept teeth… In order for the teeth to appear well-kept, they should not be stained and they should have a white and shiny appearance. The gums should, of course, be healthy as well, but that is a separate issue.
There are several reasons for the teeth to appear dark-colored. Some are yellowish from birth or stained. In the past, this used to be the person’s fate. Yet today the solution to yellowish and stained teeth is provided by various whitening techniques. Many whitening techniques may make your teeth appear whiter. In this piece, I will provide you with general information on laser whitening, which is one of these techniques.
To begin with, let us look at TO WHOM OR IN WHICH CASES WHITENING TECHNIQUES ARE APPEALING:
1. To those whose teeth have become yellowish over time. Those individuals who used to have white teeth when young, but whose teeth turned yellowish with age. Although such individuals try hard to take good care of their teeth, the enamel layer gets thinner in time, thereby accentuating the dentine layer beneath which provides color of the teeth.
2. Some antibiotics should not be used under the age of 12. These are the tetracycline group antibiotics. They result in yellow, even brown, coloring on the teeth. If the stains are not too dense, they might be eliminated through whitening.
3. In cases of staining on the inner sides of the teeth which is called fluorosis.
4. To individuals who have yellowish teeth from birth (This is as natural as some people being born with black and others with yellow hair). The color of the teeth, too, may vary on an individual basis. Especially, the teeth of those people with fair complexion look more yellowish.
5. While an esthetic dental application is carried out and when the color of the restoration is required to be white, the lower teeth should also be whitened.
6. In cases whereby teeth which are damaged during a root canal treatment or as a result of trauma become bruised and change color.
7. Inflammatory diseases experienced while the teeth have not yet completed their development in the mouth may cause the teeth to become yellowish or to change color.
TO WHOM OR IN WHICH CASES IS WHITENING NOT APPEALING?
1. Individuals under the age of 18
2. Pregnant women
3. Those who excessively consume tea and cigarettes and who cannot limit their consumption during the treatment period
4. People who are allergic to the solution used
5. In cases when the root surfaces of the teeth are revealed due to fracture, breaking or gum withdrawal
6. In cases when there is porcelain and/or composite restoration present
HOW IS WHITENING APPLIED?
First of all, the dental structure of the person and whether he/she is suitable for this treatment is analyzed. A photograph is always taken of those who are regarded suitable. The original color of the teeth is, thereby, recorded. If the staining is dark and stubborn, home-whitening should be applied.
Before/during laser whitening is applied,
- the teeth must be brushed with a fluorine-free toothpaste (before the patient arrives at the session).
- the teeth must be cleaned with pumice (at the beginning of the session).
- the gums and the lips are secured by special protectors.
- the whitening gel/powder is spread on the teeth and each section is applied a 30-second irradiation. The irradiation period changes for every person depending on the devices and the gels used.
- the session is brought to an end by the removal of the protective gel and barriers. Home-whitening may follow in due course should it be required.
- if home-whitening is not required, the individual should avoid food and beverages, such as tea, coffee or cigarettes, which may cause coloring on the teeth.
HOW LONG DOES LASER WHITENING ENDURE?
This changes from person to person. In the general sense, this period is 2-3 years. The amount of tea and coffee consumed in this period of time and dental care is essential. This period may be extended if the consumption of tea and coffee is limited and if dental care is successful. Otherwise, this period may be shortened. If whitening side-products are used, upon dentist’s advice, this period would again be extended.
Copyright 2010 Öznur Çevik, Bu sitede yayınlanan tüm materyalin her hakkı saklıdır. Kaynak gösterilmeden kullanılamaz.